In Oriental Medicine, we have a saying that applies powerfully to us all: “The Mind leads the Qi”.
If you think of your body as an energetic pathway, a stream that carries your Qi (vital life force), blood and oxygen throughout, the mind is always the command center. Your thoughts start the stream of power that trickles down into your body.
By reframing your thoughts and emotions, keeping your attitudes positive, and your behaviors empowered, you will tune your inner energetic essence to very high levels. Our bodies are lined throughout with complex, crossing, invisible magnetic nets we call meridians. Meridians assist in the distribution of Qi. When these pathways are open and ﬂowing, our Qi moves easily and effortlessly, bathing us with strong health, vitality and power.
So how does this treatment room talk apply directly to our everyday lives?
Here is my joyful living reminder list for you to consider this holiday season:
1. Make time daily to meditate. There is no one right way; a few minutes, two times a day sitting up, laying down, reclining. Be present with where you are now, in the moment, and then just let go with your breathing. As you learn to release attachment to mental activity, your body will begin to relax into the here and now, taking you deeper with your breath into the gap between thoughts, where cloudy questions become clear answers.
2. Exercise regularly, no matter what the weather conditions.
3. Stay in touch with your healthy sexuality: keep it alive – use it or lose it.
4. Eat a balanced diet that includes fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables. Be sure to drink enough water throughout the day. Avoid too much caffeine, sugar and alcohol.
5. Live in integrity. Be your word: do what you say you will do when you say you will do it. Tell the truth; talk in ways that make others want to listen.
6. Make your surroundings a reﬂection of your creative self. Keep your home and office space neat.
7. Let go of what you no longer need, including things, old stored-up anger and activities that no longer serve you.
8. Simplify your life; allow yourself to say no to constant activity.
9. Remember that all things change; nothing in life ever stays the same.
10. Embrace the life you have created: play; make dates to do pleasurable and interesting things; listen to music; dance; laugh; spend time outdoors; and have fun.
11. Help others: volunteer when you can, give to those less fortunate.
12. Trust your higher self: listen to and honor your intuition.
13. Give thanks, live in gratitude. The more we say thank you, the more we ﬁnd to be thankful for.
14. Allow love into your life: feel it, give it away, strive to always surround yourself with loving thoughts, feelings, people and actions.
15. Smile and savor these moments.